Perhaps Israel’s action will come before the upcoming election! Maybe Bush and Cheney will take one huge parting shot in the “war on terror” by using Israel as a proxy–one that doesn’t require “congressional authorization”–to strike at Iran? That’s what this Washington Post editorial suggests. It states the following reasons for concern about an upcoming attack:
- the recent resignation of William Fallon — a general who is known as a critic of the administration
- a trip by Cheney’s trip to the Middle East
- a recent airstrike on Syria by Israel, which may signal the intention to clear a strike corridor by assessing Russian-built air defenses
- the presence of U.S. warships off Lebanon
- Israeli comments
- Israel’s war with Hezbollah
Perhaps by “Israeli comments,” one can include the fact that there have apparently been leaks concerning an Israeli nuclear strike on Iran using bunker-buster weapons–which may have been supplied to Israel by the US as recently as 2006 expressly for the purpose of attacking Iran.
If this happens, it’ll simply mean that Israel recognizes the imminence of the Iranian threat and is going to render McCain-Obama even more irrelevant by preempting any self-defeating move either of these leaders might make with regards to Iran.
What worries me, however, is that these attacks will amount to “nuclear pinpricks” and thus do nothing but reinforce Islamic totalitarianism’s hold over Iran and exacerbate the long-run situation in Iraq beyond repair.